Usually, wild animals prefer to live outdoors. But at every opportune time, they will sneak into people’s homes in search of food or shelter.
Let’s be honest. One of the worst fears of any homeowner, or business owner, is to find wild animals living in any part of the property.
The most common wild animal species in the US found in basements are rats, mice, snakes, raccoons, and opossums. They will take the easiest way to enter, which in most cases are cracks, broken windows, vents, utility lines, pipes, and damaged or missing hatches. When inspecting your property, remember rats can fit through a crack less than ¾” wide, and mice can get in through a ¼” hole.
Preventing and keeping wild animals out of your basement is a task that you shouldn’t approach lightly. One effective method is to learn how to keep animals out of window wells, as these can be common entry points for various critters.
Methods of animal proofing
Starting from where animals can get in, you can use various methods to repair or block their way in. Simple solutions like sealing up gaps and small holes with wire mesh, expandable foam, mortar, hardware cloth, or even steel wool can be just about enough to prevent any wild animal population in your basement.
Larger openings that need to be blocked will need serious renovation work, like new siding, masonry, or even replacing a fence with an entirely different type. And last but not least, you can place covers over windows and doors, vents and hatches.
Inspecting your home inside-out is one of the most important steps to successful home protection.
Some of our clients reached out in the past with photos of animals that were, let’s say, at least misplaced. Look at some great examples from wild species that found their way to basement wells attached to homes.
Wildlife in basement well gallery
As experts in the basement wells field, we can suggest some stylish yet functional covers.
In addition to the preventive measures, we can share other useful ideas on how to handle the situation if the invasion has already happened or you are fighting with a weird bad smell coming from your basement.
The main types of solutions against rodents are baits, traps, sonic and ultrasonic repellents. We have picked the finest ones that are safe for use around humans and pets.
Best anti-rodent (mice, rats, opossums, etc.) measures on the market
- The best choice of multipurpose repellent is Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent. This non-toxic product can be applied to any outdoor surface and has been proven effective against rodents.
- Victor M756K Pest Chaser Rodent Repellent is a truly cost-efficient solution for anyone who is not yet ready to invest in pest control assets.
- Ultrasonic repellents emit sound waves that humans and pets can’t hear, but that cause rats auditory distress. One of the most recommended devices is the Neatmaster Ultrasonic Pest Repeller.
- For the lovers of sprays, we have a great 100% natural solution – Natural Armor Peppermint Repellent. This product has wonderful reviews from numerous people from all over the US.
- Another multipurpose product is the Magic Cat Under Hood Animal Repeller – Rodent Repellent. What’s great about this is that it is good for invading animals from the car engine compartment, trunk hood, passenger compartment, and car hood, and also for garage, warehouse, barn, shed, and basement.
- All-natural solutions: Essential oils are some of the best natural rodent repellents. For example, rats have a highly developed sense of smell, which makes strong odors such as pine oil, cinnamon oil, and even peppermint oil offensive to them. Cayenne pepper, cloves, and ammonia will keep rats away as well. This must give you a better idea of your next purchases from the local garden center. Some of these plants can be easily grown in any home.
How can you eliminate the bad odors?
This is another question that requires our attention when looking into this subject. Often people complain that their basement smells like dead animals. Also, it is a common mistake to use room sprays that have a fragrance instead of odor-neutralizers.
On the one hand, we have a product that only perfumes the real problem, while a quality neutralizer can give a much better, long-lasting result. Find below some top picks for powerful odor eliminators:
- Moso Natural Air Purifying Bag
- Arm & Hammer Moisture Absorber & Odor Eliminator
- Fresh Wave Odor Removing Gel, 15 oz. – Special Value 2-Pack
- The Crown Choice Spa Bora Bora
Extra tip: Don’t forget about sanitation measures to make it less likely for animal pests to trespass and die in your home.
If you would like more information about this topic, we highly recommend reading this article, published by National Geographic, on How Wild Animals Are Hacking Life in the City.
We will be happy to help you with your window well cover needs, please give us a call at 888-650-9355.