What makes a great outdoor party? The food (of course), a pool, and S’mores by the fire. Backyard parties are where all the fun is at during the warm beautiful summer months.
Are you usually the host because your backyard is so ridiculously cool that people can’t stay away? Then you have a little bit of responsibility my friend. Well, instead of sugar-coating it… you have a lot of responsibility!
Before throwing your next summer celebration, read over some tips to keep your company safe.
Hot dogs, chicken kabobs, corn on the cob, and if your friends are lucky you might even cook them steaks on the grill! You’ve been grilling for years! Why you do have to worry about safety now? Because you never know what can happen.
From 2009-2013 in the U.S., NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) reported that 8,900 home fires happened because of cooking outside. Because of these fires 10 civilians died, 160 were injured, and $118 million was spent on property damage.
I’m not telling you this to scare you and keep you from grilling, I just want to warn you and give you the best tips I can on how to prevent these fires from happening to you.
- Before you even get started, check the grill for leaks.
- Keep the grill far away from your house, at least 10 feet.
- Get familiar with a fire extinguisher and keep it by your side while grilling.
- Decorations give the party some fun, but keep them away from the grill.
- Never leave a grill unattended. If you have to step away, make sure you assign someone for grill watch while you’re gone.
- Too much food on the grill can cause issues. Make sure you’re not piling on as much food as you can.
- When you are done using it, clean it. Clean your grill on a regular basis.
Ah, relaxing in the pool with a delicious cocktail in your hand. Sounds like a dream, right? If your not careful by the pool, especially with kids, this relaxing calm dream can quickly turn into a nightmare.
The National Safety Council says that there are over 7,000 drowning deaths per year and 80% of them are in residential pools or spas.
This is an extremely serious report. Make sure you or anyone you have over doesn’t become part of that statistic. Keep you and your loved ones safe at your pool by strictly following these safety tips.
- Keep the pool under adult supervision at all times when people are using it.
- Make sure everyone at your party knows how to swim well before they enter the pool.
- Strictly enforce safety rules. Make sure everyone knows what these rules are. No running is a great rule for example.
- This goes without having to say it since everyone is attached to their cell phones these days, but have a phone nearby in case you need to call for an emergency.
- Have rescue equipment by your pool and make sure the person on watch knows how to use it.
- Have a high enough fence around your pool with the gate always locked so no children can get in without supervision.
S’mores are personally my favorite part of a backyard party. Sitting by the warm fire on a cool summer night making tasty desserts, nothing beats it! Yes, fire pits can be the life of the party but they come with their own dangers too.
NFPA shares that outside fire pits and fireplaces caused 3,700 grass and brush fires. Keeping fires tamed is a huge part of safety precautions. Here are some tips on how to do that properly.
- Have an adult supervising the fire at all times.
- Keep anything flammable at least 3 feet away from the fire.
- Keep a hose and/or a fire extinguisher near you to grab quickly in case of an emergency.
- Before leaving the fire, make sure it’s completely out.
- Keep a first aid kit near you for slight burns.
Again, I’m not sharing this with you to scare you but to help you! Follow these tips and have a safe and wonderful outdoor entertaining experience!